Friday, 14 October 2011

A Little Taste of Home

  • Care packages filled with some of my favorite things from home are an AMAZING way to end my week, even when the gossip is outdated :)  Thanks Sarah!!
  • Feelings about the US and Americans in general fall on a wide spectrum here on campus.  There are people like my new German friend Alex who announces upon meeting me that he LOVES America, eventually wants to live/work/procreate there, and happily proposes marriage to most American women. (Don't worry, I declined.)  On the other hand, there is a Dutch girl in my Conflict and Peace Studies class who announced yesterday that American-dominated interventionism in third party wars and conflicts unquestionably results in mass genocide and war profiteering.  Needless to say, she will probably not be having American babies anytime soon.
  • Speaking of fun things like genocide, I am starting to narrow down my thoughts on a possible dissertation topic.  I am considering something along the lines of "the role of education in sustainable peacebuilding/statebuilding within fragile or failed states, mainly in sub-Saharan Africa."  I've tailored my course choices in a way that should help with some of the initial research and exposure to material.  I will undoubtedly change my mind another 3-4 times so I will keep you all posted on the oh so fascinating world of thesis research.

1 comment:

  1. You should have accepted. Seriously, he sounds like a keeper, and your kids would be great at soccer!

    Your thesis sounds cool - only if you can travel there. On a side note, Steven from our soccer team has just been there for work, and would be a good resource.

    Just checking, when you thought of your thesis subject, that's not a fancy title for focusing on celebrety adoption of babies, re: Madonna and Sandra Bullock? I'm not sure how strongly they'd grade a thesis with so many US Weekly references

    ReplyDelete