Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Royal Opera

  • Student budgets are not kind (see discussion re: pleather).  When invited to join a group of IR folk at the Royal Opera House for the bargain price of £48, my reaction was...dubious.  My highly cultured palette, however, overcame this financial obstacle and bought my ticket.  Epic.  Felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.  Minus Richard Gere.  And a spacious private box.  Oh and the whole prostitute thing.  Regardless! Well done me, indeed.
  • One of my grandmother's best friends growing up was Anna Moffo.  Anna Moffo went on to become one of the most successful lyric-colorata sopranos of her generation.  Presh always tells stories of how "Anna Moffo sent me this ____ when she was living in ____" or "When Anna Moffo and I were in high school together..."  She loves her some Anna Moffo.  So imagine my excitement when whose picture should I pass in the hallway of the Royal Opera House?  None other than Anna Moffo of Wayne, PA.  Sadly, did not have my camera on hand.  Drat!  Will be sure to regale Presh with the story in December.  She will be so proud of her Anna.
  • I want nothing more than to have dinner at one of the posh ROH restaurants.  From what I can gather, you go before the show and have your appetizers and main course.  THEN! You get all kinds of fancy and order various desserts, coffee, etc to be served to you at the multiple intermissions.  Best of all, you get to sit there with your deliciousness while everyone else scrambles to order amongst the crowd at the bar.  I will make this happen for myself.  Might have to play up the Anna Moffo connection.  Solid plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment